Preparing for Arrival

As you’re preparing for arrival, we’re excited to welcome you to campus housing, your home away from home! Whether it’s your first time living on campus, or you’re a seasoned resident, campus housing has something for everyone!

To get started, read our guide to campus housing.

Move-In Check List

Move-in day is busy and exciting! Help make the move in process quick and easy by reviewing and completing the tasks below:

  • Pay housing rent and meal plan in full
  • Housing deposit is $500.00
  • Verify that financial aid will cover your housing costs (if applicable)
  • Register for full time coursework minimum of 12 credits undergraduate/9 graduate
  • Have proof of health insurance. (Please bring a copy of your health insurance card to check-in.)
  • Read the Guide to Campus Housing
  • Read the move-in dates and times
  • Visit SFpark for a comprehensive list of San Francisco parking lots and garages.

Furniture Included In Your Room

Housing provides each resident with the following basic furnishings:

  • Twin extra-long (XL) mattress
  • Bed frame (most of the beds are bunk beds)
  • Drafting table
  • Stool
  • Mobile drawer unit
  • Desk lamp
  • Closet space or armoire unit
Rent Payments

To make a rent payment, log on to the Student Self Service Portal with your username and password.  You may also make a rent payment by calling Accounts Receivable at 1-800-544-2787 or 1-415-274-2200 (from outside the USA).

Full-Time Coursework Required

All students in campus housing must be registered as full time students in order to be eligible (and maintain eligibility) for campus housing. Full-time status for undergraduate students is 9 credits, 6 credits for graduate students. Please contact your academic advisor or register online via the Student Self Service Portal if you haven’t registered for classes.

Health & Medical Insurance

Resident students living in campus housing are required to have health/medical insurance. Proof of coverage will be verified during check in. Please bring a copy of your health/medical insurance card. For more information for Academy of Art University Aetna Student Health Plan, please visit Student Health Resources.

What To Bring to Campus Housing

Extra-long (XL) twin bed sheets and comforters (most beds are XL), towels, pillows, toiletry items, alarm clock, clothes hangers, hair dryer, laundry bag/basket, laundry detergent, iron, ironing board, shower shoes and caddy, umbrella, first aid items, flashlight, school/academic supplies, and computer. Residents living in apartment buildings should also bring kitchen utensils, eating utensils, cookware, cleaning supplies, toilet paper, trash bags, and paper towels. There is limited space to store items and clothing within each room, so please be mindful of what you decide to bring to campus.

What Not To Bring to Campus Housing

The following items are prohibited in University housing:

  • Water beds
  • Lofted beds
  • Microwave ovens
  • Television/radio antennae placed outside the room/exterior of the building or adjacent grounds
  • Weapons (as specified under “Weapons” under Section CP.3 of the Housing License Agreement)
  • CO2 hazardous chemicals
  • Gasoline/candles (with or without a wick)
  • Incense
  • Illegal drugs (see Section CP.2 of the Housing License Agreement)
  • Drug paraphernalia: hookahs, bongs or other smoking devices
  • Alcoholic beverages
  • Alcohol containers/bottles/cans
  • Automobiles or vehicles of any kind (or parts, repair tools)
  • Accessories for any vehicle, air conditioners
  • Dart boards
  • Halogen lamps
  • Sun lamps
  • Space heaters
  • Weight lifting equipment
  • Live holiday decorations (including string lights)
  • Inflatable pools

Additionally, outside furniture that is not provided by the University is prohibited in the Residence Halls. The University reserves the right to determine that an item not mentioned above is prohibited, and to remove or confiscate any and all prohibited items. The University claims no responsibility for confiscated items. Approved appliances must be UL (Underwriters Laboratories) approved. Only power strips equipped with circuit breakers, surge suppression, and a construction grade cord with a grounded third prong may be used in Student’s room. Please keep in mind, there is no moving assistance (rolling carts or handcarts) provided during move-in and move-out. Students are encouraged to bring only what they need for the semester.

Living in San Francisco
Clubs & Organizations
Academy of Art University Search Search Previous Next Previous Next Next Next Chat Quote Facebook Google Plus Instagram Pinterest Twitter YouTube LinkedIn TikTok WeHeartIt Download App Close