Types of Military & Veteran Benefits

There are a number of types of military & veteran benefits available to current and former members of our military who wish to attend the Academy of Art University.

Choose from:

  • The Yellow Ribbon Program
  • The Post-9/11 GI Bill® (Chapter 33)
  • Transfer of Post 9/11 Benefits to Dependents (TEB)
  • Montgomery GI Bill (Chapter 30)
  • Reserve Educational Assistance Program (REAP) (Chapter 1607)
  • Survivors’ and Dependents’ Educational Assistance Program (DEA) (Chapter 35)
  • Vocational Rehabilitation (Chapter 31)
  • MyCAA: The Military Spouse Career Advancement Accounts Program

Key VA Educational Benefit Programs

The Post-9/11 GI Bill (Chapter 33)

If you have at least 90 days of aggregate active duty service after Sept. 10, 2001, and are still on active duty, or if you are an honorably discharged Veteran or were discharged with a service-connected disability after 30 days, you may be eligible for this VA-administered program.

Yellow Ribbon Program

Institutions of Higher Learning (Degree Granting Institutions) may elect to participate in the Yellow Ribbon Program to make additional funds available for students’ education programs without an additional charge to their GI Bill entitlement.

The University has elected to absorb 50%, which is the maximum, for 30 undergraduate units or 24 graduate units.

Undergraduate Student Example
Fees (Estimates)$450.00$650.00$300.00
TOTAL (Tuition + Fees)$10,470.00$10,670.00$5,310.00
VA Pays (up to $21,084.89)$10,470.00$10,614.89$0.00
Remaining Balance$0.00$55.11$5,310.00
2nd VA Payment (50%)$0.00$27.55$2.655/00
School Pays (50%)$0.00$27.56$2,655.00
Student Pays$0.00$0.00$0.00

Transfer of Post 9/11 Benefits to Dependents (TOE)

The transferability option under the Post-9/11 GI Bill allows Servicemembers to transfer all or some unused benefits to their spouse or dependent children. The request to transfer unused GI Bill benefits to eligible dependents must be completed while serving as an active member of the Armed Forces.  The Department of Defense (DoD) determines whether or not you can transfer benefits to your family. Once the DoD approves benefits for transfer, the new beneficiaries apply for them at VA.

To find out more, visit DoD’s website or apply for transfer of Post 9/11 Benefits to Dependents now.

Montgomery GI Bill (Chapter 30)

The Montgomery GI Bill (MGIB) is available to those who enlist in the U.S. Armed Forces. There are two main programs:

Active Duty (MGIB-AD)

The MGIB-AD program—sometimes known as Chapter 30—provides education benefits to Veterans and Servicemembers who have at least two years of active duty.

Learn more…

Selected Reserve (MGIB-SR) (Chapter 1606)

MGIB-SR program provides education and training benefits to eligible members of the Selected Reserve, including the Army Reserve, Navy Reserve, Air Force Reserve, Marine Corps Reserve and Coast Guard Reserve, and the Army National Guard and the Air National Guard. Eligibility for this program is determined by the Selected Reserve components and VA makes the payments.

Learn more…

Reserve Educational Assistance Program (REAP) (Chapter 1607)

REAP provides educational assistance to members of the Reserve components called or ordered to active duty in response to a war or national emergency declared by the president or Congress.

Learn more…

Survivors’ and Dependents’ Educational Assistance Program (DEA) (Chapter 35)

There are two main GI Bill programs offering education assistance to survivors and dependents of Veterans:

Vocational Rehabilitation (Chapter 31)

The Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment (VR&E) service (also known as the Chapter 31 program) is vested with delivering timely, effective vocational rehabilitation services to veterans with service-connected disabilities.

These services enable our injured soldiers, marines, sailors, airmen, and other veterans with disabilities to make a seamless transition from military service to a successful rehabilitation and on to suitable employment after service to our Nation.

VR&E’s primary benefit program is vocational rehabilitation. VR&E also provides educational and vocational counseling to eligible service members, veterans, and veterans’ dependents. The outcome of this counseling is assistance in the selection of an educational or vocational goal and/or assistance in the selection of training institutions where this goal may be pursued.

To receive the very best service, please contact the Department of Veterans Affairs directly and speak with a VA representative to determine eligibility at 1-888-GIBILL-1.

Eligibility is determined by your local Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor. If eligible, please submit your VA Form 28-1905 to the VA Certifying Official via fax (1-415-618-6273) or email (VA@academyart.edu).

Read about how to apply for Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment.


The Military Spouse Career Advancement Accounts (MyCAA) program provides up to $4,000 (over 2 years) of financial assistance for military spouses who are pursuing degree programs, licenses or credentials leading to employment in portable career fields.

Get the MyCAA Fact Sheet from Military OneSource to learn more about MyCAA.

If you do not meet any of the above Chapters, but feel that you are eligible for VA benefits, please contact the Department of Veterans Affairs (1-888-442-4551) for other available chapters.

Quick Guide to VA Forms

In order to collect your VA Educational Benefits, you must complete and submit any and all required documents to the VA Certifying Official. Refer to this guide to determine which forms you must submit.

Form NumberForm NameWho Needs it?
22-1990Application for VA Education Benefits• Chapter 30, 1607, or 1606
• Chapter 33-Post 9/11 GI Bill
• Never collected benefits
22-1995Request For Change of Program or Place of Training• Chapter 30, 33, 1607, or 1606
• Collected benefits before
22-5490Application for Survivors' and Dependents' Educational Assistance• Chapter 35
• Never collected benefits
22-5495Request for Change of Program or Place of Training Survivors' and Dependents' Educational Assistance• Chapter 35
• Collected benefits before
• Educational Objective changes
28-1900Application for Vocational Rehabilitation for Claimants with Service-Connected Disabilities• Chapter 31
• Collected benefits before (submit every semester)

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government website at https://www.benefits.va.gov/gibill.

Academy of Art Military Scholarship

Start Prepping for a Career in Art and Design

Learn More
Academy of Art University Search Search Previous Next Previous Next Next Next Chat Quote Facebook Google Plus Instagram Pinterest Twitter YouTube LinkedIn TikTok WeHeartIt Download App Close